The Sustainability Challenge is looking for applications from media organisations who want to improve their “organisational sustainability” by creating innovative news and information products that:
- Investigate ways to reach and interact with a larger audience via digital platforms and technology; and
- Create new revenue-generating prospects or long-term business models.
NAMIP is being implemented by Media Development Investment Fund and is being financed by the MacArthur Foundation to accelerate digital innovation and create new economic models for Nigerian independent media.
NAMIP Sustainability Challenge Focus Areas
They encourage applications from existing independent media companies, non-profit media and new ventures who have projects or news products that address one or more of the following focus areas:
- Digital native products: Do you employ new and innovative approaches to collecting news and information, and to reporting, storytelling and distribution, that embrace the possibilities of technology?
- Reaching rural communities: Are you developing or have developed innovative approaches to reach and empower people outside of major urban areas, and those generally under-served by existing news media?
- Technology innovation for distribution: Are you developing or have developed new media technology that distributes local news in a cost-effective and sustainable way?
- New Revenue opportunities: Do you explore innovative solutions to revenue challenges that media companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organisations more sustainable and independent?
- Transition to digital: Are you finding and implementing solutions, products or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses?
Benefits of NAMIP Sustainability Challenge
- Successful applicants will benefit from up to $50,000 for their project and have access to a range of capacity-building activities, including targeted and bespoke training, one-on-one coaching, as well as joining NAMIP’s supportive community of like-minded organizations.
NAMIP Sustainability Challenge Eligibility
- You could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit or a new venture that is just kicking off.
- They are looking for mission-driven companies and organisations passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information.
- They encourage applicants who do not have traditional journalism and media backgrounds, particularly from the areas of technology, design and business.
- They also encourage applicants with independent radio (both community and commercial radio) and TV platforms who are developing unique strategies to reach their audiences to apply.
- Note: Participants who applied in the first call but were not successful are still eligible to apply again.
How to Apply NAMIP Sustainability Challenge
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
The deadline for this funding cycle is midnight on February 28, 2023.
Leave a Reply